NANOcomposite NANOfibres for Treatment of air and Water by an Industrial Conception of Electrospinning
Electrospinning is a versatile and promising technology for the production of polymer-based nanofibres. In order to achieve reliable transfer of electrospinning-based processes into relevant industrial environment a fine control of large-scale nanofibre formation is required.
NanoTWICE project will develop composite nanofibres for filtration by merging biopolymer processing and sol-gel techniques using electrospinning technology.
The main objectives of NanoTWICE project are:
- production of innovative multifunctional filter media (high-efficiency filtration, self-cleaning, biocidal, photo-catalytic, reactive, adsorbent properties) by integrating nanofibre membranes with inorganic nanoparticles;
- developing a multi-jet electrospinning plant integrating sensors able to detect electrospinning fault and electrostatic alteration during the process;
- optimize machine configuration and dynamic control of the production of nanofibrous materials by means of stochastic control models.
NanoTWICE project can assist Italian competitiveness in key sectors such as polymer processing, biomaterials, textiles, sensors, and filtering systems by developing knowledge focused on electrospinning research activities towards filtration that is one of the most urgently required areas of innovation and materials development.
By providing a technical overview and new ideas in terms of electrospinning and its applications, the proposed project will also be very advantageous and beneficial for Italian industry entering the field of nano-materials related processing.
On the other hand, the knowledge that will be disclosed during NanoTWICE project in the preparation of stable formulations containing dispersions of active ceramic nanoparticles in functional natural protein, as keratin, is a highly innovative technological challenge.
The development of multifunctional filter media based on keratin nanofibres embedding ceramic nanoparticles will have properties not present in the filtration products available at the moment. In fact, the resulting filter media, being composed of inorganic and organic components, will sum the unparalleled properties of adsorption of keratin nanofibres to the biocidal, self-cleaning and photo-catalytic properties of nanoparticles. Therefore, the electrospun nanofibre-based filter media of NanoTWICE project will be able to adsorb heavy-metals, dyes and volatile organic compounds, to kill bacteria and dangerous micro-organisms, and to degrade harmful substances such as drugs, antibiotics and pesticides from both air and water.
In addition, the fabrication of electrospun nanofibres composed of protein with inorganic nanoparticles gives to the Partners great advantages in producing materials with a huge range of applications, not just limited to filtration, but also in developing biomaterials, bioelectronics and new textile materials.
The processing manage for achieving stable production of nano-sized materials is another key factor for the success of the project. The technology that will be developed in NanoTWICE will enable the Partners in controlling a large-scale nano-materials production process for advanced applications.
Automated electrospinning plant for industrial manufacturing of functional composite nanofibres (AUTOSPIN)
Advanced applications require fibres with increasingly smaller size. Electrospinning is the most promising process for the production of sub-micron scale polymer-based filaments (nanofibres). Such extremely thin fibres are produced by high voltages applied to polymer solutions. Repulsive forces generate electrically-driven polymer liquid jets that solidify into nanofibres.
AUTOSPIN project have a high demonstrative value. Activities will be focused on the assembly of monitoring and controlling systems and their implementation into a fully automated and robust electrospinning plant. Tuning of the components and testing of the whole electrospinning system will be carried out in order to produce nanocomposite multifunctional nanofibres in industrially relevant environment. Finally, a user-friendly image analysis tool for quality control of the electrospun products (identification and quantification of defects, measurements of fiber diameters and pore sizes) will be developed.
- Project started January 15, 2013
- Kick-off meeting held in Biella February 14, 2013
- D1.1 Project presentation (WP1)
- NanoTWICE web content on-line February 20, 2013
- Technical meeting held in Milan April 5, 2013
- Project meeting held in Biella July 1, 2013
- Project meeting held in Milan October 30, 2013
- WP3: D3.1 Multi-jet electrospinning plant equipped with sensors (M6). Status: delivered
- WP3: D3.2 Documentation of DOE (M8). Status: delivered
- WP1: D1.2 Progress report (M11). Status: delivered
- WP2: D2.1 Stable electrospinnable formulations (M11). Status: delivered
- WP3: D3.3 Stochastic model of the process (M11). Status: delivered
- Meeting for Scientific Audit held in Milan November 11, 2013
- Second year of the project approved January 15, 2014
- Project meeting will be held in Milan June 20, 2014
- Project meeting will be held in Milan September 25, 2014
- Prototype Project -
- Prototype Project started February 1, 2016
- Kick-off meeting held in Milan on March 1, 2016
CNR institutes involved
Alessio Varesano (email@example.com)
Seminars, Congresses and Pubblications
- A. Pievatolo, E. Lanzarone, L. Martín Fernandéz, F. Ruggeri, "Design and analysis of electrospinning experiments", Thirteenth annual conference of the European Network for Business and Industrial Statistics (ENBIS-13), September 15–19, 2013, Ankara (Turkey).
- A. Varesano , F. Rombaldoni, S. Di Mauro, "Improving adhesion of electrospun nanofibre webs on textiles", International Istanbul Textile Congress 2013 (Cost Action MP1206 Electrospinning), May 30 - June 1, 2013, Istanbul (Turkey).
- A. Varesano, F. Rombaldoni, C. Tonetti, S. Di Mauro, G. Mazzuchetti, "Chemical treatments for improving adhesion between electrospun nanofibers and fabrics", Journal of Applied Polymer Science 131(2), 2014, 39766. abstract
- A. Varesano, C. Tonetti, C. Vineis, G. Mazzuchetti, "Addressing Issues of Electrospinning Nanofibres on Textiles: Productivity, Perturbation and Adhesion", Electrospinning: Principles, Possibilities and Practice, December 5-6, 2013, London (UK).
- C. Tonetti, A. Varesano, C. Vineis, A. Aluigi, G. Mazzuchetti, S. Ortelli, M. Blosi, A.L. Costa, "Composite electrospun nanofibres for treatments of air and water", Electrospinning: Principles, Possibilities and Practice, December 5-6, 2013, London (UK).
- S. Ortelli, A. L. Costa, M. Blosi, A. Vaccari, S. Albonetti, C. Vineis, A. Varesano, G. Mazzucchetti, "Electrospun Keratin Based Nanofibers with Embedded Ceramic Nano-Phases", XIII Giornata della Chimica dell'Emilia Romagna, December 18, 2013, Bologna (Italy).
- A. Aluigi, F. Rombaldoni, C. Tonetti, L. Jannoke, "Study of Methylene Blue adsorption on keratin nanofibrous membranes", Journal of Hazardous Materials 268, 2014, 156-165. abstract
- A. Varesano, C. Vineis, C. Tonetti, D.O. Sánchez Ramírez, G. Mazzuchetti, "Chemical and physical modifications of electrospun keratin nanofibers induced by heating treatments", Journal of Applied Polymer Science 131, 2014, 40532. abstract
- A. Varesano, C. Vineis, C. Tonetti, G. Mazzuchetti, "Electrospinning of nanofibres on textile materials by large-scale pilot plant", XIII International Izmir Textile and Apparel Symposium, April 2-5, 2014, Antalya-Belek, (Turkey).
- D. Gardini, A. L. Costa, S. Ortelli, M. Blosi, A. Varesano, C. Vineis, G. Mazzucchetti, "Ceramic Phases Dopants of Electrospun Keratin Nanofibrous Media", Industrial Technologies 2014, April 9-11, 2014, Athens (Greece).
- A. Varesano, C. Vineis, C. Tonetti, D.O. Sánchez Ramírez, G. Mazzuchetti, S. Ortelli, M. Blosi, A.L. Costa, "Functional Nanocomposite Keratin-based Nanofibers by Colloid Electrospinning from Water Solutions", 5th International conference on Advanced Nanomaterials - ANM 2014, July 4, 2014, Aveiro (Portugal).
- L. Bonura, A. Cacace, G. Bianchi, A. Varesano, "A process monitoring system for a multi-jet electrospinning head",3rd International Conference on Electrospinning, August 4-7, 2014, San Francisco (USA).
- A. Varesano, C. Vineis, C. Tonetti, G. Mazzuchetti, D.O. Sánchez Ramírez, S. Ortelli, M. Blosi, A.L. Costa, "Antibacterial and photo-catalytic composite nanofibres for filtration", E-MRS Fall Meeting, Symposium M - Fuctional textile, September 15-18, 2014, Warsaw, Poland.
- C. Tonetti, A. Varesano, C. Vineis, G. Mazzuchetti, S. Ortelli, M. Blosi, A.L. Costa, "Keratin Nanofibre Membranes with Inorganic Nanoparticles for Filtration", 6th International Istanbul Textile Conference on Future Technical Textiles (FTT 2014), October 15-17, 2014, Istanbul, Turkey.
- A. Varesano, C. Vineis, C. Tonetti, G. Mazzuchetti, "Manufacturing of nanofiber-coated textiles with a large-scale electrospinning pilot plant", International Conference of Applied Research on Textile (CIRAT-6), November 13-15, 2014, Hammamet, Tunis.
- C. Vineis, A. Varesano, C. Tonetti, G. Mazzuchetti, D.O. Sánchez Ramírez, S. Ortelli, M. Blosi, A.L. Costa, "Organic/inorganic nanofibers from water solutions with antibacterial and photo-catalytic activities", International Conference of Applied Research on Textile (CIRAT-6), November 13-15, 2014, Hammamet, Tunis.
- A. Varesano, C. Vineis, C. Tonetti, D.O. Sánchez Ramírez, G. Mazzuchetti, S. Ortelli, M. Blosi, A.L. Costa, "Multifunctional hybrid nanocomposite nanofibers produced by colloid electrospinning from water solutions", Current Nanoscience 11(1), 2015, 41-48. abstract
- C. Vineis, A. Varesano, G. Mazzuchetti , C. Tonetti, D.O. Sánchez Ramírez, S. Ortelli, M. Blosi, A.L. Costa, “Organic/Inorganic Nanofibers from Water Solutions with Antibacterial and Photo-Catalytic Activities”, ISMAC Workshop 2014 'Catalytic Olefin Polymerization and High Performance Materials', December 11, 2014, Milan, Italy.
- D.O. Sanchez Ramirez, R.A. Carletto, C. Tonetti, A. Varesano, C. Vineis, G. Mazzuchetti, S. Ortelli, M. Blosi, A.L. Costa, "Protein-based nanofiber membranes with functional nanoparticles", NART 2015 - Nanofibers, Application and Related Technologies, August 31-September 2, 2015, Liberec (Czech Republic).
- R.A. Carletto, D.O. Sanchez Ramirez, A. Varesano, G. Mazzuchetti, "Scale-up of nozzle electrospinning plant", NART 2015 - Nanofibers, Application and Related Technologies, August 31-September 2, 2015, Liberec (Czech Republic).
- D.O. Sanchez Ramirez, R.A. Carletto, C. Tonetti , A. Varesano, C. Vineis, G. Mazzuchetti , S. Ortelli , M. Blosi , A.L. Costa, "Electrospinning composite nanofibers of wool keratin with nanoparticles from water solutions", Istanbul Textile Congress 2015, September 11-12, 2015, Istanbul (Turkey).
- R.A. Carletto, D.O. Sanchez Ramirez, A.Varesano, G. Mazzuchetti, "Deposition of nanofibres on textile materials by large scale electrospinning pilot plant", Istanbul Textile Congress 2015, September 11-12, 2015, Istanbul (Turkey).
Copyright © 2013-2016 - NanoTWICE Project